Getting Your Business Number
One of the first steps to officially registering a business is to apply for your business number. A business number will allow you to pay taxes and set up payroll. On a federal level, you will need to fill out an RC1 Request for a Business Number. This is something that you can do on your own online, by phone or in person.
On a provincial level, each province has a different registration process. To learn more on how to proceed in this matter, visit our Register Your Business in Your Province page . Of course, you are free to call us at anytime for assistance and guidance, if you are a member.
Before you apply for your business number, it is important to have some information ready:
- Your business structure – will it be set up as a sole proprietorship, partnership, or corporation?
- If you are incorporated, you will need a copy of your certificate.
- The personal information, including contact info and Social Insurance Numbers of all owners/partners.
- Business name, location and a clear description of your business. What does it do or sell?
- GST/HST number and effective date.
- Sales amounts, reporting periods and accounting periods.
This can seem like an overwhelming amount of information but that’s why we’re here. Give us a call if you have any questions, and feel free to print out the form below, if you would like a practice run.